As we set out on our quest for some more vegetarian-friendly recipes (as requested by Vildana – don’t worry we’re figuring out that delicious dish), we decided to revisit one of our favorites. Pizza! But not just a cheese pizza – well if you’re not *cough* Fatima *cough* – but mushroom and spinach pizza. Fatima dislikes mushrooms, so the spinach and mushroom pizza was all for me.
- Pizza dough (Homemade or store-bought)
- 1 small box of frozen chopped spinach
- Goat Cheese – garden herb flavored
- 1-2 cups of Mozzarella Cheese (per pizza)
- Truffle oil (optional – bougie $$$)
For Cheese Pizza (Additional Items):
- Pasta sauce
- Take care of the dough (read directions for homemade or on the store bag)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F)
- Prepare toppings (defrost spinach, chop up mushrooms, chop cilantro)
- Roll out the dough. Use flour to stiffen it up and to keep it from getting really sticky
- Slap dough on the oven rack and cook for about 10 minutes or until the dough starts to turn golden brown
- For mushroom pizza – spread goat cheese out on the cooked dough…For cheese pizza – spread out some pasta sauce
- Add a layer of mozzarella cheese
- Add the rest of the toppings (except truffle oil), spreading around the pizza to mix and even out
- For mushroom pizza – drizzle some truffle oil on the top (this is an ingredient that you do not want to over do)
- Place back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees (F)
- Take out, let cool off for a 5 minutes, cut, serve, eat, enjoy!
If you can, I would definitely try to get some truffle oil. The first time we made pizza, about 8 months ago, my parents funded our groceries, so we got away without having to pay for the truffle oil 🙂 – It’s expensive, but well worth it!
The goat cheese really gave it a different flavor. If you’re a fan of goat cheese, I recommend trying it out on pizza. It has a very distinctive taste, but the flavored herbs in the cheese bring out a unique experience and really help to elevate the richness of this simple pizza.
Anyone know how to make dessert pizza?