Like all foodie fads that pop up, we were a little weary of trying quinoa. I don’t know if it’s the look or the name, but we were scared. Then, we went to Stephanie’s house for a pre-party, where she served some delicious quinoa tacos. Fear no more.
Our first quinoa experience was great. We substituted quinoa for rice when we made turkey chili. Then we made a simple dish with quinoa. While talking about my new fondness for quinoa at work, my manager told me about adding fried egg to quinoa. Done.
Enter our Shrimp and Egg Fried Quinoa…
Shrimp and Egg Fried Rice
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 lb of shrimp
- 2 handfuls of sugar snow peas
- 3-4 eggs
- Dash of garlic salt
- Dash of thyme
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Dash parsley
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cook your quinoa. 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water. 1 cup makes about 3 cups cooked quinoa. Place water and quinoa in a small-medium sized pot and bring to a boil, covered.
- Boil for 5 minutes and then bring your temp down to the lowest setting and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- While this is happening, cook your shrimp. Boil until pink and tender.
- Throw your sugar snow peas, seasonings and butter in a small pot over medium heat and stir.
- Scramble eggs on a skillet over high heat – season with salt and pepper. I use about 2 eggs for every cup of quinoa.
- Add cooked eggs to quinoa and mix well.
- Scoop quinoa into bowls, top with sugar peas, and shrimp.