A while ago, we made some delicious Oreo Truffles. We took this recipe and added some holiday flair by adding a dash of peppermint extract. These truffles were soooo good. Relatively easy to make, these truffles didn’t take up too much time. It was trying to melt the white chocolate that took up most of my time. Last time I melted white chocolate, it was no bueno. Adding in the shortening, as we did for the Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles, was a tremendous help. It sets the chocolate and keeps it from over melting.
Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- 1 Package of Oreos (not double stuff). We used reduced fat 🙂
- 1 (8 oz) softened cream cheese
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 12 oz. white chocolate morsels
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 3 crushed candy canes for decorating
- Crush the Oreos into fine chunky pieces.
- Blend together cream cheese, peppermint extract and Oreos.
- Scoop mixture out and form into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Place truffles in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate according to directions on package – very important – and the vegetable shortening.
- Remove truffles from freezer and dip in melted chocolate and evenly coat then allow excess chocolate to run off (I barely made it with 12 oz. of the melted white chocolate morsels, so you may need a little more).
- Return to baking sheet and immediately sprinkle tops with crushed candy canes then allow chocolate to set.
- Store in a refrigerator.