I’ve never made – let alone tasted – pecan pie. The first time I tasted pecan pie was last week. It was delicious! I was hooked. Side note – this was supposed to be for a bake off at work and I failed to remember the date.
Being that it was my first time making this dish, I went a step further and created my own. Nuts, you say? Maybe. But I didn’t just go all willy-nilly and take things out, I researched. After looking at a dozen different recipes, I concocted the formed the recipe below.
For all my bakers out there, true or false? You know your dessert will be successful when dough or batter is freakin delicious.
After mixing everything together, I tasted some of the filling before cleaning the mixer, and it was awesome! The consistency was light and airy, which scared me because the pecan pie I had was thicker and solid.
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp syrup
- 1/2 tbsp of agave nectar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk, vanilla, syrup, agave nectar and nuts.
- Pour into an unbaked 9-in pie shell. I took the edges and formed the crust into a zig-zag pattern (take one hand make a peace sign, and with the other hand stick your index finger between the peace sign).
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 50 minutes, or until done (my oven is awful, so I needed 50 minutes, you might need only 30-40). I threw the pie in the oven and came back to check it 20 minutes later and the filling rose a good two inches above the crust and formed a dome. I took it out and started poking holes and mixing it up with a butter knife to make it go down – my first mistake. I think I was supposed to let it be and do its thang. However, the pie came out beautifully and tasted oh so good. Don’t be surprised if you see more pecan pie posts.
Do you have any favorite pecan pie recipes?