I love adding a little spook to food around Halloween. This year, among many other delicious dishes, we made these peanut butter monster eye cookies. Aren’t they cute?
These are so easy to make and don’t require anything special other than these candy monster eyes (found at Michaels). If you’re familiar with peanut butter blossoms, then you’ll know exactly how to make these cookies. Basically, you push the Hershey kisses (special dark seen here) into the cookies about 1-2 minutes before they’re done baking to melt the chocolate slightly. Usually you’d just insert them right after they come out of the oven. This is an easy dessert to make last minute for your upcoming Halloween parties (assuming you can find these eyes…).
Peanut Butter Monster Eye Cookies
- Favorite peanut butter cookie recipe (or packaged mix)
- All the fixings for the cookie recipe above
- 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl
- Hersey Kisses, unwrapped (1 small bag should work – you’ll need 1 per cookie)
- Candy eyes (found the ones pictured above at Michaels back in August) – 1 per cookie
- Follow directions for your peanut butter cookies and preheat your oven.
- Make the cookie dough according to your directions.
- Spoon and roll into balls 1/2 – 1 tbsp sized pieces of dough.
- Roll ball around in the sugar to coat evenly and place on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Put your cookie sheet in the oven.
- About 2 minutes before you think your cookies are done, take cookies out of the oven, and quickly push hershey kisses into the balls.
- Place cookie sheet back into oven for the remaining time.
- Once done, remove cookie sheet from the oven, and quickly push eyes into the Hersey Kisses.
- Let cool and serve warm. These work best when cooled in the fridge to solidify the chocolate 😉
My favorite thing to do is make cookies the night before and store them in the fridge. Remove them about an hour before serving and they are just as declines as they day you made them. I love a chilled, yet soft cookie.