Oh my gosh, we had to try this. On a brunch at ABV on East 96th a few weeks ago (highly recommend the chicken and biscuit sandwiches), we discovered a new-ish Taco Bell in the neighborhood just across the street; we had to check it out. On our once-in-a-blue-moon trips to Taco Bell, my go-to meal is the Crunchwrap Supreme. It’s glorious. Something about the combination of the moist, taco-seasoned beef, spicy queso, and added crunch from the large chip, make this a fan favorite.
Now, don’t confuse this post as us trying to take a Taco Bell staple and turn it into a healthy alternative. While you get the satisfaction of knowing where your ingredients are coming from, chosen by you, you won’t be able to shake that addicting, self loathing feeling you get after eating at Taco Bell. This is just a way to make your own Crunchwrap Supreme in the comfort of your own home – great to hang to for the winter 😉
Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme
- 1 whole and 1 half burrito-sized flour tortillas per person
- Favorite Queso
- 1lb ground turkey (or beef) meat
- Taco Seasoning
- 1 hard taco shell broken in half, or disk tortilla chips
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- A few pinches of shredded cheese
- Whatever else you want!
- Heat a skilled on medium-high heat.
- Cook and season your ground meat. Move to a bowl. If it seems your meat is overly moist or has excess liquid, make sure to drain it.
- Clean skillet and return to heat.
- Layout the whole burrito-sized tortilla and dallop some queso in the middle of the tortilla. To give yourself a size guide, place the two halves of the broken tortilla shells together (to form a whole circle). This is how wide you’d want to made your spread of queso.
- Layer ground meat on top of the queso and cover fully.
- Place hard taco shells on top of the turkey meat (again, to form a whole circle).
- Dallop and spread sour cream on top of the hard taco shells.
- Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheese.
- This is where the half of the other tortilla comes into play. Place it on top of your pile of goodness.
- Sear some butter around in your skillet to heat up.
- Take the edges of the bottom tortilla and fold them up to the top all the way around. Somewhat folding over one another.
- Keeping the supreme folded, gently the folded sides down into the skillet.
- Cook until the side is a darker, golden-brown.
- Flip it and cook the other side.
- Remove from heat, let cool for a minute or two, and eat.