The first time I had goat cheese was in my senior year of college. I went to a screening of Food, Inc. in Stephanie’s documentary class. Delicious! We saw Food Network magazine’s breakfast toast article and saw they paired goat cheese with a number of foods.
We took this concept down to a mini level and made a Goat Cheese and Strawberry Crostino. Stopping by the new Whole Foods in our ‘hood, we picked up a fresh baguette, herb-flavored goat cheese and honey-flavored goat cheese. One thing we agree on is our favorite fruit: strawberries. Awesome! While I loved both cheese flavors, the honey was delicious. It was smooth, creamy, and just the right amount of sweet.
Goat Cheese and Strawberry Crostino
- 1 french baguette (sliced – about 50 slices depending on the length)
- 4-6oz of your favorite goat cheese
- 1 carton of strawberries should suffice – sliced into think layers
- Basil for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to broil on 400 degrees F.
- Slice your baguette. You should be able to get about 40-50 slices.
- Move the sliced bread to a cookie sheet and place in oven. Lightly toast each side – about 3-4 mins (or less) per side.
- Remove from the oven and spread goat cheese on one side of the toasted slices.
- Layer with 2-3 slices of strawberries.
- Sprinkle with basil. If your goat cheese is already flavored with herbs – you can skip this step!