When your sweet tooth acts up, sometimes you just want to make a few cupcakes instead of a whole box. Or when you’re in a pickle because you forgot a birthday, anniversary, or Valentine’s Day, you could whip up a quick batch of cupcakes for two. These fudgy brownie heart cupcakes are delicious and are a perfect dessert for V-day.
Roaming around Pinterest last week, I stumbled upon The Baker Chick’s blog and this ahh-mazing recipe for fudgy dark chocolate cupcakes for two. Although this word is one of the most hated words in the world, there is no other way to describe these cupcakes without using moist. These cupcakes were delicious.
There are a few ways into Fatima’s heart: 1. flowers, 2. cleaning the bathroom, 3. warm cookies or brownies, or 4. moist cupcakes. When we were cake tasting for our wedding, Fatima was so impressed with how moist Alyssa’s cupcakes were, that she refused to look anywhere else. When I made these brownie heart cupcakes over the weekend, she was shocked by how moist these were and how the recipe made two perfect cupcakes.
Fatima is not a sweet tooth. She likes a bite of warm cake, no frosting, and just a bite of a warm brownie. However, she ate this cupcake in what seemed like one bite, frosting and all. For the brownie hearts, you must use Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge brownie mix and follow the directions for fudgy brownies. It’s the only way to get moist, dense fudgy brownies. We found the heart-shaped cutout from Michaels.
Fudgy Brownie Heart Cupcakes for Two
Cupcake Recipe from The Baker Chick
- Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge boxed brownie mix + ingredients
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons dark cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ⅛ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven according to the boxed brownie mix directions.
- Following those directions, whip up the brownies.
- Pour the batter into a brownie pan and bake.
- Once the brownies are done, take them out of the oven and set them aside to cool completely.
- In the meantime, let’s make The Baker Chick’s cupcakes…
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Make a small well in the middle of the bowl and add the water, oil and vanilla. Whisk together until smooth.
- Evenly distribute the batter between two liners and sprinkle with chocolate chips if using. Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let your cupcakes cool before frosting. We used canned, pink vanilla frosting. You can use any canned or homemade frosting. See The Baker Chick for a fantastic dark chocolate frosting!
- Using a heart-shaped cutter, cut out heart brownie shapes from the brownie pan. Best to get these from the center of the pan. But if you’re a brownie edge lover, like our friend Jared, then you should stick to the edges.
- Place heart brownie bites on top of the frosted cupcakes.