Holy moly. Talk about hot, hot, hot! Rather than using my go-to mixed spice, we were experimenting with some chipotle peppers to get that southwestern spice. And let me just say, that sauce is freaking spicy. I’m calling this dish Firecracker Shrimp because those spiced shrimp will blow up in your mouth in spicy goodness.
On top of spinach, rice, beans, and corn, your firecracker shrimp will be joined by some garden fresh tomatoes and avocado to help tone down the spiciness. We used grape tomatoes from Colleen’s garden – yum! There’s something so fresh and “real” about garden-fresh tomatoes. They were so plump and juicy.
Firecracker Shrimp Salad
- 7.5 oz. Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1lb Frozen Raw Shrimp
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup fresh corn
- ½ can (7 oz) black beans, drained/rinsed
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 handfuls of spinach or spring mix (2 handfuls per plate)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Thaw and peel raw shrimp, set aside.
- Send the chipotle peppers and their sauce through the Nutribullet until smooth. Pour into a small mixing bowl.
- Add shrimp to the bowl and mix around in the sauce. Marinate for about 30 mins.
- While the shrimp is marinating, cook the rice with cilantro and lime juice from one half of the lime.
- Add oil to a small saucepan and heat. Add the corn and beans and season with salt pepper, the cumin, and chili powder. Keep warm until the end.
- Cut grape tomatoes in half and set aside.
- Prep your dinner plates/bowls by adding spinach and rice (when done).
- Heat a medium skillet on medium-high heat.
- Remove shrimp from the fridge and throw on the skillet. Sear the shrimp one on side for a few minutes and flip over for another minute.
- Add beans and corn on each plate/bowl.
- Top plates/bowls with shrimp, avocado and tomatoes.
- Squeeze lime juice over each completed plate/bowl and serve!