Fall is in the air! The best way to embrace fall now, besides sipping on that grande pumpkin spice latte in 80 degree heat, is to cook this fall scented medley up tonight. It’s guaranteed to sweep you off your feet and into a big, crunchy pile of leaves.
Over the weekend, we had some friends over for a Flavors of Fall party. We cooked up a bunch of fall-inspired food while watching Hocus Pocus and enjoying the smells of fall simmering in our kitchen.
When I think of the scents of fall, I think of sweet, citrus, nutty, and anything with cinnamon, even some pumpkin. When we put everything in the pot and fired it up, the smell of fall filled our entire apartment. You can do this with just about anything. Just make sure you balance the layers of your ingredients with something sweet, citrusy, and nutty.
Fall Scented Medley
- Halved orange, peeled (keep the peels)
- 15-20 whole cloves or about 1 tbsp of ground cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 dash of vanilla
- 2 dashes of nutmeg
- Small handful of sugar
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 tbsp of pumpkin pie or apple pie spice (or half of each!)
- Halve and peel an orange.
- Stick about 15-20 cloves into the orange (if using ground cloves, skip to step 3).
- Combine all ingredients (including orange peels) into a small-medium pot and fill with 3/4 of water.
- Place on high heat until it boils.
- Turn down the heat and let simmer all day.
- Continue to fill with water when necessary.