I found the recipe for these Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles at Six Sisters Stuff (Chubby Hubby Truffles) and I knew I had to try it. No recipe modifications were made here. Chocolate Peanut Butter – Need I say more?
I just took a bite so I could take a picture (featured image) and I literally died and went to heaven. These are really sweet, and soooooo good. The chocolate peanut butter combination won me over in this recipe. The salty pretzels on the inside brought it all together. This recipe is one for the record books!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
- 1½ cups pretzel pieces
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Put the pretzel pieces into a resealable plastic bag and crush into very small bits. I used my hands to crush them in the bag, but a rolling pin or book would work too!
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and salt. Stir until all of the ingredients are completely blended and smooth. Add the pretzel bits to the peanut butter mixture and mix thoroughly. Add the powdered sugar and mix until completely combined.
- Line a small baking sheet with wax paper. Using a small cookie scoop, or about 2 teaspoons worth of peanut butter mixture, gently shape into a ball with your fingertips. Place the ball on the wax paper-lined cookie sheet and repeat with the remaining peanut butter mixture. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes. (I misread the 2 teaspoons as 2 tablespoons, so I ended up making 12 large truffles. Seeing as they will never leave my fridge, I’m not complaining. If I was going to feed more people, I would have made them smaller).
- When ready to dip the truffles, microwave the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening together in a small bowl at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth. Took me about 3 cycles to melt everything thoroughly.
- Working one at a time, dip one peanut butter-pretzel ball into the melted chocolate and use a fork to roll it around, ensuring that it is completely coated with chocolate. Let any extra chocolate drip off and place back on the wax paper-lined sheet. Repeat with all of the peanut butter-pretzel balls.
- Return the baking sheet to the refrigerator and again chill for at least 30 minutes. Garnish with a drizzle of melted peanut butter and crushed pretzels. I took a plastic bag, cut a small bit off the corner of the bag, and dripped melted chocolate on top of the truffles. I added crushed pretzels, and placed back in the fridge to harden.
These are freakin delicious, and if you love chocolate peanut butter anything – you have got to try these!