Chocoholic? Yes. Any chance to make something chocolatey and I’m the first one in line. The chocolate donuts were so good! We were going for the chocolate glazed donuts you get from the Dunkin Donuts – the kind that melt in your mouth. I believe we nailed it.
This past fall, we made some yummy pumpkin donuts. We sort of cut through that recipe and opted in for cake mix – it made it so much easier. Experimenting with cake mix is always fun. It’s easy and delicious. We thought we’d try out a box of chocolate fudge mix – yum!
We used a little bit of cake mix at a time – this yielded 6 large donuts, or 3 large donuts and 12 mini donuts – the perfect amount for the two of us to last for the week. So be sure to double your recipe if you want a full dozen.[recipe}
Old Fashioned Chocolate Glazed Donuts
- 1 1/4 cups + 1 tbsp chocolate cake mix OR any other kind!
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Turn on your oven and preheat to a chilly 425 degrees.
- Beat all of your ingredients in a small bowl until combined – should look and feel like cake batter.
- Lightly spray your fancy donut pan (We got our large and mini pans from from HomeGoods) with cooking spray.
- Spoon in the batter into the donut pan. Only fill about 2/3 the way up. We over filled one and it was a deformed beast – but a yummy deformed beast. We used our steel pastry bag to pour in the batter – our pumpkin donuts were so messy last time.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 5-8 minutes. Our oven has a horrible baking problem and cooks things too fast. So the 5-8 minutes is very loose.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Photos were updated on 5/15/2016.