Now that winter has finally settled in, time to start cooking some more hearty and healthy bowls of warmth! Even just looking at the ingredient list, you can tell this stew will be delicious and good for you. Very easy to make, the ingredients will cost you just under $7 – assuming you have olive oil already in stock. This stew lasted me an entire week! One bowl a day for five nights, plus a lunch!
- 2 cups shredded spinach
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 tsp olive oil (only for use in the 2nd way to cook – see below)
- 1 can cannellini beans (drained)
- 1 cup cubed, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- You can do this in two ways: 1.) cook the chicken on a skillet, and throw everything into a crock pot and cook for 8 hours (do this in the morning before heading out to work) OR…
- In a skillet, sauté the spinach, peppers, and garlic in oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add beans and chicken, and sauté for another minute.
- Add broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dash of salt and pepper to taste.
By cooking the stew in a crock pot, you’ll end up with a heavy, robust, and flavorful stew. The ingredients will be softened quite a bit. The second way will taste “fresher.” The spinach won’t be dark green, the peppers will still have some crunch, and the chicken won’t be as soft as cooking it in the crock pot. Both ways will give you a delicious and healthy bowl of stew.
This recipe was adapted from The Abs Diet.