This was a delicious and filling dinner! You can also make these Cheesy Eggs and Potatoes for breakfast. If you love cheese and potatoes, then this recipe is for you. We took this recipe from Sandra Lee but made a few modifications to make it our own.
We love red onions. The smell, the taste, and even the smell when it’s cooking. But a shallot? Uhghgh, so delicious! Our kitchen smelled like heaven for the rest of the night. This dish brought me back to those days as a kid when I would play in the snow all day. When I would come inside for dinner, a warm plate or bowl of something yummy would be on the dinner table. These cheesy eggs and potatoes would make a great dish to serve to guests on a cold christmas morning…
Cheesy Eggs and Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (we used a pepper olive oil)
- 2 large Idaho potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons St. Germain
- 8oz of cheese (we used 4oz mozzarella and 4oz of a four cheese “mexican” blend)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp cilantro (finely diced)
- Put a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the oil. Peel and grate (or in our case – dice) the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes well with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the potatoes, pressing them down and flattening them out to evenly cover the bottom of the skillet. Cook until the potatoes are golden brown. Keep the heat on medium and cook until you are done with everything – this will keep the potatoes warm.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put a small skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of the butter. When the butter has melted, add the shallot and cook until it softens. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for a minute or two. Pour in the cream and bring to a boil. Add the St. Germain and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes until it thickens a bit. Turn off the heat and add half the cheese. Stir to melt the cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from the stovetop and cover and keep warm.
- In another medium skillet over medium-low heat, add the remaining tablespoon butter. Whisk the eggs well and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Pour the eggs into the pan, add the remaining cheese, cilantro, and reduce the heat to low. Cook slowly until the cheese is melted and the eggs are cooked through but soft.
- For each plate, layer with: potatoes, top with the cheesy eggs, and pour on sauce.
- Serve warm and enjoy.