The first time I had muddy buddies (some may call this puppy chow), was back in college during one of our summers working as orientation leaders. On one of our training days, we had an assignment where we had to deliver step-by-step instructions to the rest of the group on anything. I talked about cleaning sneakers and the effects of oxidation. One of the other orientation leaders made muddy buddies.
To spice these up for the fall, we added some apple pie seasoning to the mix to make these apple pie muddy buddies. While could have added a little more spice, the hint of apple pie was pretty much on fleek. Muddy buddies already bring so much flavor, like peanut butter and chocolate, so adding in one more layer can be tricky.
Peanut butter and chocolate already taste great (separately and together) on apple wedges, which is why the addition of apple pie spice to the muddy buddies makes perfect sense!
Apple Pie Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tbsp apple pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Measure Chex and put into a large bowl.
- In a microwaveable bowl, melt together the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter on high for 1 minute. Stir and continue in increments of 30 seconds until everything has melted. Stir together once more, mixture should be smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla and apple pie spice.
- Pour the melted mixture over the Chex cereal and gently stir until evenly coated.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar and coat evenly. This also works if you add everything into a sealable bag and shake.
- Place in the fridge for 10-20 minutes to firm up the chocolate coating.